About a month ago, a friend and I were talking about what it may look like to be completely and wholeheartedly sold-out to Christ. She shared a quote that struck my heart, but by the following morning I couldn't remember all of the words. Later that afternoon, during my break, I began reading that week's Bible study homework for small group. We have since completed the book, but the ladies were reading "He Speaks to Me" by Priscilla Shirer. That particular week we were going to be discussing Part Five, consisting of three chapters. I turned to this section and it's title caught my attention ... "A Sold-Out Hunger. Hmmm ... That's kinda funny. We were just talking about being sold-out to Christ last night," I thought. He definitely had my attention, as did the rest of the book.
That evening, I made it a point to ask my friend for the quote again. This time, I wrote it down and decided to keep it where I can read it everyday, if I choose: "The man or woman who is wholly or joyously surrendered to Christ can't make a wrong choice. Any choice will be the right one." A.W. Tozer
"Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied." Luke 6:21
I have a hunger and He is truly satisfying that hunger each day. I'm not saying that I don't have my struggles. Oh, believe me, I do, but that's okay, because His grace is sufficient and He continues to strip me of myself. It's humbling and comforting.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
This has been one of my favorite scriptures for years. In fact, we incorporated it into our wedding program six and half years ago. It was part of my quiet time a week ago, but for whatever reason, this time it spoke to me in a different way. My Bible contains study notes on certain pages and this specific page had one for this verse. Here's what it says:
Delighting in God
PS 37:4
"David expresses in this psalm a deep truth that he's discovered: If he finds his life's delight in the Lord, all his desires are fulfilled. To delight in someone is to find joy in their presence, to welcome their unique qualities and to express pleasure in their company. When we make the Lord the object of our delight, spending time in his presence and reveling in his character, our deepest heart's desires gradually align themselves with his own. We discover that what we want is what he wants--and how delighted he is to honor our heart's desire by keeping us in the center of his will! As we believe in him and grow to love him more day by day, we will be "filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy," for we will be enjoying the ultimate prize of our faith, the ultimate desire of our hearts; the eternal salvation of our souls (1Pe 1:8-9)."
My desire is that the house I live in, the clothes I wear, the color of my hair ;), my job title, the car I drive, the music I listen to, etc. not be what defines me. I desire to have an open heart and mind for whatever, however He wants to use me to fulfill His will on a daily basis. My desire is to see through His eyes, love how He loves. My desire is for my heart to break for what breaks His, for my hands, my feet, my words, my actions to all be His. When I fall, like I do so often, I desire His arms to catch me, dust me off and set me on my way again. I desire to please Him. My desire is to be sold-out to Christ. Everything else will fall into place, because He's in control, not me. And a big HALLELUJER! for that.
"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it." Isaiah 30:21
No comments:
Post a Comment